Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Golden Train Express Vietnamese Cuisine (aka Thai Spicy...read on)

4530 West 10th avenue
604.677.6981
24 hours
Cash only

The neon sign yells "Thai Spicy". We aren't sure why, as there is nothing Thai about this spot. It is as Vietnamese as they come. My brother introduced us to GTE (I hate abbreviating, but it's necessary here) a year ago as he worked close by in UBC. The first time we went with my mum, unbeknownst to her, she ordered the spiciest dish on the menu, and suffered through the sweat and tears until she was practically licking the bowl. As adventurous as I am with food, once I find my dish, it really tests my ambition to try something new. GTE attracts all kinds. The majority of the patrons are young, UBC students, but it attracts families and locals all the same. I don't think I have ever seen two people work so hard in a restaurant in my life. The dozen or so times I have been here, I have always been served by the same worn out, tired waitress, and there is always the same looking chef in the back too. I would like to think that we would be on a first name basis by now, but I'm pretty sure this is a habitual restaurant for a lot of locals.

Animal activists beware, if you have issues with many large, anxious fish crammed into one loud tank in the middle of the restaurant, this place might not be for you. I am in no way ashamed of this delicious restaurant, but I have a hard time introducing it to a lot of friends due to the tacky decor, multiple TVs teetering from handmade wall mounts, and the general neon feel. My focus has always been, and will always be about the food, which is why I will always come back.

Whatever the season, I always have a hankering for Vietnamese. It may be the idea that I am getting a healthy meal, or the fact that I am not interested in the guilt associated with a dine out splurge. I have tried many a pho (even though I have been told that is is pronounced "fa", I will die saying "fo" as I am too far gone to accept the change) in Vancouver, and their "Satay" rare beef pho ($6.00) is gorgeous. It is a deep, rich broth swimming with lime, cilantro, onion, and real beef stock. It is on the spicy side, but there are many 'original' pho varieties that are tame and familiar. I add extra veggies which overwhelm the bowl, but a small will absolutely fill me up. This is definitely the winter option. The rest of the year has me craving #68. I can only describe this as a simple combination of a spring roll, lemongrass beef, noodles, and tons of veggies, happily nestled together in a floral, plastic bowl. The simplicity reminds you of a salad, but it has so much going on, that you are completely satisfied. This is also a good option when you are too impatient to wait for your pho to cool down enough to enjoy without singeing your throat. If you are in a rush, you can sit, order, eat, and pay within 30 minutes. I like to make jokes about how long we've had to wait (all of about 4 minutes), but the waitress is long gone before I get to the hilarious part where I roll my eyes....

They have an array of imported juices, which taste really good paired with a spicy meal. No alcohol here, but a refreshing orange slice and fortune cookie compliment a very reasonable meal.

Very easily...two can dine for under $20! That is almost unheard of in this fancy neighbourhood. Give this place a try, you won't be disappointed. If you have an easily distracted boyfriend, I'm afraid you'll be enjoying the company of the active fish as their are multiple tv's on various local channels.

enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment